Wireless charger for an iphone SE3

zaq

Jul 4, 2022, 6:11:16 PM7/4/22
Anyone got any comments on wireless chargers
for an iphone SE3 that they like or don't like ?

Wade Garrett

Jul 4, 2022, 6:34:59 PM7/4/22
On 7/4/22 6:11 PM, zaq wrote:
> Anyone got any comments on wireless chargers
> for an iphone SE3 that they like or don't like ?

The wireless Qi pad in my car makes my SE warm when it's out of its
Incipio Dual-Layer Protection Case, quite warm when in the case and
close to hot if I also use a thin sticky pad on the charger to keep the
phone from sliding when cornering or braking.

Bottom line? I don't use wireless charging. I keep a lightning cord in
the car if I need to charge the phone there.

I guess if I was on a road trip and the phone batt was close to
exhausted, I'd stick it on there for a while until I got to the next gas
station or convenience store as most sell cords. Even the local
supermarkets have them...

Bernd Froehlich

Jul 5, 2022, 2:23:27 AM7/5/22
On 5. Jul 2022 at 00:11:10 CEST, "zaq" <zaq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone got any comments on wireless chargers
> for an iphone SE3 that they like or don't like ?

I use this one:
<https://de.anker.com/collections/stands/products/a2524?variant=37375829770403>

Not much to say about it, it just works.

zaq

Jul 5, 2022, 2:48:48 AM7/5/22
On Tue, 05 Jul 2022 16:23:25 +1000, Bernd Froehlich <be...@eaglesoft.de>
wrote:
Yeah, that was one I was considering because of the brand, they have a
good reputation.

Any comment on the heating problem that Wade sees ?

Bernd Froehlich

Jul 5, 2022, 6:50:42 AM7/5/22
On 5. Jul 2022 at 08:48:42 CEST, "zaq" <zaq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any comment on the heating problem that Wade sees ?

The iPhone feels slightly warm (nothing close to hot) when loading, but I
guess that is quite normal.

I don´t use it in a car as Wade does. It is sitting quietly on my desk, so
no problem with sliding :-)

Wade Garrett

Jul 5, 2022, 8:39:12 AM7/5/22
Bernd, is Eagle Data your app?

Bernd Froehlich

Jul 5, 2022, 9:10:03 AM7/5/22
On 5. Jul 2022 at 14:39:10 CEST, "Wade Garrett" <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:

> Bernd, is Eagle Data your app?

Yup :-)

Jolly Roger

Jul 5, 2022, 11:01:52 AM7/5/22
On 2022-07-05, zaq <zaq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any comment on the heating problem that Wade sees ?

Wireless charging always generate more heat and use more energy than
wired charging. Wireless charging is simply less efficient, and more
stressful for the battery, which is the price you pay for the
convenience.

JR

sms

Jul 5, 2022, 11:10:15 AM7/5/22
On 7/4/2022 3:11 PM, zaq wrote:
> Anyone got any comments on wireless chargers
> for an iphone SE3 that they like or don't like ?

I use this wireless charger at home:
<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255801038025798.html>. The model
number on the back is WLX-819.

6 wired ports
2 USB (5...@2.4A)
2 QC 3.0 (5...@2.4A, 9...@2.3A, 1...@1.5A)
2 30W USB-C PD (5V@3A, 9V@3A, 12V@2A,15V@2A, 2...@1.5A)
2 5W or 10W Qi devices at a time
No AC adapter necessary, it runs directly off AC power.

I like that I can charge multiple wireless and wired devices with one
charger, though it doesn't directly wirelessly charge my Apple Watch.

I'm cautious about the 94.7% rating of this Aliexpress seller, but they
did deliver the product. With Aliexpress you really want to look for
sellers with at least a 96% positive rating. I've had this for more than
a year.

The complete specs are here
<https://www.oan.cl/pdqc3-0-smart-phone-wireless-charger-wlx-819-us-plug/>
but I'd avoid this seller as the price is too good to be true (and they
are sold out anyway).

The wireless charging works even through thick cases. Since it maxes out
at 10W of wireless charging it doesn't heat up the phone.

Also, since the phone is held nearly vertical, there is very little heat
radiating from the charger up into the phone. What you want to avoid is
high-power (>10W) wireless chargers where the phone lies flat on the
charger and the phone is heating up from both its internal receiver coil
and receiving radiated heat from the charger's transmitting coil (at 5W
to 7.5W this is not an issue, but at 10W and up it is).

I've not tried this charger on an iPhone SE, only on an Xr and a variety
of Android devices. The Xr has a wireless charge rating of 7.5W but I
suspect that this charger is charging it at 5W and I have no good way of
checking.

Wade Garrett

Jul 5, 2022, 11:45:50 AM7/5/22
Very nice app; great work!

nospam

Jul 5, 2022, 12:54:36 PM7/5/22
In article <ta1k8j$3o2d6$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> The wireless charging works even through thick cases. Since it maxes out
> at 10W of wireless charging it doesn't heat up the phone.

false. it very definitely heats up the phone, more than via wired
charging. this is basic physics and has been measured in numerous
studies.

<https://warwick.ac.uk/services/communications/medialibrary/images/june2
019/iphone_charging_mode_2.jpg>

> Also, since the phone is held nearly vertical, there is very little heat
> radiating from the charger up into the phone. What you want to avoid is
> high-power (>10W) wireless chargers where the phone lies flat on the
> charger and the phone is heating up from both its internal receiver coil
> and receiving radiated heat from the charger's transmitting coil (at 5W
> to 7.5W this is not an issue, but at 10W and up it is).

that is completely wrong, plus you're contradicting yourself where you
just said it doesn't heat up the phone.

if the phone is flat, the heat will go up into the display above it,
which is actually preferable than having it dissipate to the rest of
the phone that is in a vertical orientation.

one advantage for a vertical charger is to keep the coils aligned
(especially with apple's magsafe, where misalignment is impossible,
something android is just starting to copy), thereby minimizing heat
due to the losses from wireless charging.

> I've not tried this charger on an iPhone SE, only on an Xr and a variety
> of Android devices. The Xr has a wireless charge rating of 7.5W but I
> suspect that this charger is charging it at 5W and I have no good way of
> checking.

it's actually very easy to check, yet that doesn't stop you from making
more baseless claims.

zaq

Jul 5, 2022, 2:54:44 PM7/5/22
On Tue, 05 Jul 2022 20:50:41 +1000, Bernd Froehlich <be...@eaglesoft.de>
wrote:
Yeah, I plan to use it almost entirely at home, more convenient
than the magnetic thing in the lightning port which is now rather
flakey in the 6S the SE3 is replacing. About the same cost so the
wireless charging will be more convenient.

I may well add another to the car with something I make up
or buy that doesnt allow sliding, later. My phone goes in a bin
in the dash so it won't be getting it hot from the sun etc. I don't
ever need to look at the screen when driving, use google maps
and the voice prompts are all I ever need when driving.

zaq

Jul 5, 2022, 3:03:12 PM7/5/22
On Wed, 06 Jul 2022 01:01:51 +1000, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com>
wrote:

> On 2022-07-05, zaq <zaq...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Any comment on the heating problem that Wade sees ?
>
> Wireless charging always generate more heat and use more energy than
> wired charging. Wireless charging is simply less efficient,

I don't care about that, I just don't want to cook the
battery and the result Bernd gets is fine for me.

> and more
> stressful for the battery, which is the price you pay for the
> convenience.

I don't really mind about that either, prepared to pay for a
new battery years down the track. The SE3 is replacing
a 6S which has lasted for 6 years and now needs the original
battery replacing. But the previous 5 isnt really very usable
even for a temporary while the battery in the 6S is being
replaced by Apple because you have to hold the lightning
cable in the socket with pressure on it to charge it. I will
get the battery in the 6S replaced once the SE3 arrives
on Friday so it is a viable backup.

zaq

Jul 5, 2022, 3:12:30 PM7/5/22
On Wed, 06 Jul 2022 01:10:09 +1000, sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/2022 3:11 PM, zaq wrote:
>> Anyone got any comments on wireless chargers
>> for an iphone SE3 that they like or don't like ?
>
> I use this wireless charger at home:
> <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255801038025798.html>. The model
> number on the back is WLX-819.
>
> 6 wired ports
> 2 USB (5...@2.4A)
> 2 QC 3.0 (5...@2.4A, 9...@2.3A, 1...@1.5A)
> 2 30W USB-C PD (5V@3A, 9V@3A, 12V@2A,15V@2A, 2...@1.5A)
> 2 5W or 10W Qi devices at a time
> No AC adapter necessary, it runs directly off AC power.
>
> I like that I can charge multiple wireless and wired devices with one
> charger, though it doesn't directly wirelessly charge my Apple Watch.

Don't have a watch so not a problem for me.

> I'm cautious about the 94.7% rating of this Aliexpress seller, but they
> did deliver the product. With Aliexpress you really want to look for
> sellers with at least a 96% positive rating. I've had this for more than
> a year.

Yeah, I am happy to risk it with aliexpress, buy using paypal so easy
to get a refund if it never works.

> The complete specs are here
> <https://www.oan.cl/pdqc3-0-smart-phone-wireless-charger-wlx-819-us-plug/>
> but I'd avoid this seller as the price is too good to be true (and they
> are sold out anyway).

> The wireless charging works even through thick cases.

Not a problem for me, I only use silicone backshells.

> Since it maxes out at 10W of wireless charging it doesn't heat up the
> phone.

Didn't think about that, thanks for that. I don't need fastest
charging because I plan to have the phone on the wireless
charger when I am not actually using the phone even tho that
may in theory see a lower battery life, just for the convenience.

> Also, since the phone is held nearly vertical, there is very little heat
> radiating from the charger up into the phone.

Thanks for that, didnt think about that.

RonTheGuy

Jul 5, 2022, 7:06:29 PM7/5/22
On Jul 05, 2022, sms wrote
(in article<news:ta1k8j$3o2d6$1...@dont-email.me>):

> I use this wireless charger at home:
> <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255801038025798.html>. The model
> number on the back is WLX-819.

I just ordered that one.
No more cables!
Thanks!

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

nospam

Jul 5, 2022, 8:38:21 PM7/5/22
In article <op.1ouky...@pvr2.lan>, zaq <zaq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jul 2022 01:10:09 +1000, sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> > Since it maxes out at 10W of wireless charging it doesn't heat up the
> > phone.
>
> Didn't think about that, thanks for that.

don't think about that, because it's wrong.

> > Also, since the phone is held nearly vertical, there is very little heat
> > radiating from the charger up into the phone.
>
> Thanks for that, didnt think about that.

don't think about that, because it's wrong.

Hank Rogers

Jul 5, 2022, 9:40:36 PM7/5/22
Ayup, everybody is always wrong.

sms

Jul 17, 2022, 4:13:31 PM7/17/22
I've been pleased with it. My iPhone Xr doesn't heat up at all using it
and it's good to have only one charger that can charge a variety of
devices. You can actually charge two wireless devices at once as long as
the phone isn't so tall that the coil in the phone doesn't line up with
the coil in the charger.

With an accurate WH meter it shows that it's drawing about 1 watt with
nothing plugged in and no devices on the wireless charger. When I place
the iPhone Xr onto the wireless charger it goes up to about 9 watts. So
it could be charging at 5 watts or 7.5 watts, I'm not sure, but the
phone doesn't heat up. With my Samsung Note 9 I think it's charging at
10 watts and it gets a little warm. iPhone 12 and 13 support 15W
wireless charging but this charger will only go to 10 watts.

What you should avoid is the high-power wireless chargers where the
phone sits horizontal on top of the coil. Heat rises, and all the heat
from both the Qi charger coil and from the coil inside the phone, is
radiating up into the phone. There are some wireless chargers with built
in cooling fans, but unless you're going to 15 watts or more these
aren't necessary.

There's no evidence that slight warming, due to low-wattage wireless
charging does anything bad to the battery.

See "Pros and Cons of Wireless Phone Charging" at
<https://tinyurl.com/pros-cons-wireless-charging>.

nospam

Jul 17, 2022, 4:21:48 PM7/17/22
In article <tb1qh9$3rcrf$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> What you should avoid is the high-power wireless chargers where the
> phone sits horizontal on top of the coil.

you keep citing higher power wireless charging as an supposed advantage
for android.

now you say not to do that, thus whatever supposed advantage there
might be is moot.

it's always helpful when you refute your own claims.

> Heat rises, and all the heat
> from both the Qi charger coil and from the coil inside the phone, is
> radiating up into the phone.

unless the charger is vertical.

> There are some wireless chargers with built
> in cooling fans, but unless you're going to 15 watts or more these
> aren't necessary.

a cooling fan in the charger has zero effect for cooling the phone.

> There's no evidence that slight warming, due to low-wattage wireless
> charging does anything bad to the battery.

yes there is and i've posted links before.

> See "Pros and Cons of Wireless Phone Charging" at

that has been debunked.

zaq

Jul 17, 2022, 4:54:28 PM7/17/22
On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 06:13:28 +1000, sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On 7/5/2022 4:06 PM, RonTheGuy wrote:
>> On Jul 05, 2022, sms wrote
>> (in article<news:ta1k8j$3o2d6$1...@dont-email.me>):
>>
>>> I use this wireless charger at home:
>>> <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255801038025798.html>. The model
>>> number on the back is WLX-819.
>> I just ordered that one.
>> No more cables!
>> Thanks!
>> Ron, the humblest guy in town.
>
> I've been pleased with it. My iPhone Xr doesn't heat up at all using it
> and it's good to have only one charger that can charge a variety of
> devices. You can actually charge two wireless devices at once as long as
> the phone isn't so tall that the coil in the phone doesn't line up with
> the coil in the charger.

> With an accurate WH meter it shows that it's drawing about 1 wattwith
> nothing plugged in and no devices on the wireless charger.

Thanks for that, I did wonder about that.

sms

Jul 18, 2022, 12:24:54 PM7/18/22
On 7/17/2022 1:54 PM, zaq wrote:

<snip>

>> With an accurate WH meter it shows that it's drawing about 1 wattwith
>> nothing plugged in and no devices on the wireless charger.
>
> Thanks for that, I did wonder about that.

Single-output chargers have lower standby. Three charges that I tested
had 0.18W, 0.22W, and 0.37W. I suspect the reason for the 1 watt is that
all three wireless coils have to be powered at low current in order to
be able to detect when a device is placed over them.